Pages

7.03.2008

Dressing The Man

A book titled Dressing the Man has been out since. The book illustrates through old and new photographs how to make a man look great for work or for formal occasions. I found reference to it at the Fedora Lounge, a website devote to men dressing well.

It says that "business casual" has come to mean sloppy dress code for work, and that we need to reverse that awful trend and get back to looking proper again.

Last month was my birthday. I already had a medium blue dress shirt with a yellow grid pattern I bought last year. I know that blue and purple are complimentary colours, so I searched out a purple tie.

Wow!

I haven't felt this good about choosing colours that go with one another to make an outfit since, uh, the mid-1980s, when Madonna's True Blue album was on the charts.

Earlier in June I bought myself a felt fedora hat. Never had a nicer hat before in my life, but way back in the 1980s I decided that by the time I turn 40 that I want something nicer than a baseball cap. This past Spring was very cold compared to previous ones, so it was not any different than wearing it in April.

But by the time the temperatures warmed up to the mid-20s Celcius I found it too hot if I was walking around in it for over 30 minutes outside. Someone told me that I should get a straw fedora. I'm totally new at this hat thing, but I thought a straw hat was like a "garden hat" for working outdoors. Not really. The Bay also had one of these for $25.

No comments: