Pages

5.30.2009

Looking for 1959-style Anchor Hocking Glass Pitcher


When I moved out on my own in 1989, the pop culture - music, movies, tv, colour schemes and patterns seemed to emulate 1959.

It's like this one, except there was no pattern on it, and the bottom had a 'honeycomb'-like 3 layer 'rib' to it.



Even Safeway was into it, by remodelling its stores to use nifty neon to denote its Dairy, Meat, Bakery departments.

I think it was in May of 1989 that I bought a heavy glass pitcher from Safeway at Grant Park one day, and I used that at my first place at 28 Biscayne Bay (in Fort Garry). Then when I moved to 87 Smith Street I used it for several years.

One day I moved the pitcher over the sink tap to wash it and moved my hand too fast and the pitcher got a tear in the glass. Interesting that when I moved into 87 Smith the very same pitcher was left in the fridge for the next tennant. I guess you really have to be careful of these wonderful looking pitchers so the glass doesn't break.

So about 10 years later, I'm missing my 1959-style glass pitcher, and by doing some simple research I've confirmed the following:

* I did buy the pitcher from Safeway because the pitcher was apparently made by Anchor Hocking, which Safeway carries their glass measuring cup.

* The tip of the pitcher is called the ice lip. Didn't know the name of that part until now.


I don't know how I'll find a replacement, maybe I'll have to order one online, or maybe I'll find one at an antique store.

It's sad though that glass pitchers are not easily available like the Anchor Hocking was '89. The only stuff I've been able to see is cheap 'Made in China' plastic jugs, and I don't want that.

No comments: