Pages

5.11.2016

Laptop Running Smoothly Now

Since moving to the place where I have been living since
Aug. 2014 I have had a couple of issues with my Lenovo brand laptop running Linux Fedora OS.

  1. Google Chrome after a while would slow to a crawl and that would sometimes hang the laptop and make it practically unusable for anything else besides web browsing.
  2. Lenovo brand laptop would, after about 3 or 3.5 days, suddenly lockup and would auto reboot or require me to press the Reset button for a hard reboot.
Late last year I bought an additional 2 Gigabytes of RAM. Laptop now has a capacity of 4 Gigabytes. This fixed the problem with Google Chrome and I use Chrome pretty well exclusively now.

At the same time  that I got the additional RAM, I got te computer store to do a general internal cleaning of the innards. That didn't fix the rebooting. I thought maybe it's just heating up inside because it contains a Dual Core CPU. But that wasn't it either.

Recently when I was in the Hosp. the laptop ran for a total of 7 days there, and then another 7 days...without a single reboot. 14 days total.

And that was also the time when my housemate was also in the Hosp. (separate one).

So what I concluded was that the laptop would only reboot when my housemate used his laptop at the same time as mine.

The answer was to replace the plain power bar with one of those that "conditions" the AC output from the wall and "cleans" the power so that the laptop has as good electricity as possible.

This AC line conditioner, which looks the same as a power bar, except that it also accepts coax and telephone (RJ11) inputs, also features an indicator for "Grounded". This light was not ON when plugged into the wall outlet.

So putting that in there has basically made my laptop run flawlessly for the past 8 days and counting.

No comments: