Pages

8.28.2016

Three Rock Songs That Influenced Me

I may have written about this in my blog already, but I can do it again.

In the early 1970s instead of getting a Yamaha Electone organ from my Dad, I got instead a plain chord organ.

I did play this chord organ a bit...firstly learning to play Christmas carols, then in the mid-1970s could play ABBA material ear.

But it wasn't until about 1979 when the chord organ was in the basement and I had basically gotten over my fear of going downstairs. There was a demon jinn named Aern there and he used to scare me just by being there and watching me.

In fact, even in '79 when I'd be all alone in the early evening, where I got the courage to go downstairs, turn on the table radio and play the chord organ to the music on FM radio.

The three songs that I really got to like playing along with were:

Gerry Rafferty
Baker Street
Rel. Feb. 1978
Video: link

Dire Straits
Sultans of Swing
Rel. Jan. 1979
Video: link

Herb  Alpert
Rise
Rel. Sept. 1979
Video: link

and also this one

Blondie
The Tide Is High
Rel. 1978
Video: link

I used to get soooo emotional when I played these songs, especially Rise, because it is such a feel good melody.

No comments: