Pages

7.15.2009

Memories of 1968

I remember when I was very young. Perhaps 2 (1968) or early 1969 when we used to go to my relative's home on Cobourg St. in Elmwood (which I really consider to be part of East Kildonan).

I remember part of their house. My cousin's bedroom was on the second floor, and because he lived there it was easy for him to walk up the stairs. But when I was there I found the stairs too steep, and it had this ribbed rubber mat that I found a bit slippery. So I would have to climb up there on my hands and knees.

Then one of the visits I remember that my cousin got one of those wind-up toy clocks with the musical tune. The tune is on the Wii Music disc -- "My Grandfather's Clock". The Wikipedia artcle says the toy clock came out in 1968, so that makes very much sense. Us two boys had the very latest toy.

Here's the lyrics and melody ... link


The one one the far left is the toy clock my cousin and I had. Separately of course.

As it turned out, my cousin's family moved to another house in 1974 when my Aunt and Uncle had a baby girl.

Funny though how I can't really remember the rest of the old house very well, but it was like yesterday I remember my cousin telling me to hurry up (and he was 2 years and a bit), and me telling him that I didn't like how the stairs were.

No comments: