Pages

3.23.2015

Storix System Backup for Linux

I wish there was a simple, easy to use, integrated software for Linux that allowed me to:

* create a compressed tar file
* allowed manipulation of the tape drive (erasing, forward, search, backup, restore, list of files)
* freeware
* GUI or really good char. mode interface

I think I may have found a decent GUI (char. mode) programme for Linux for backing up by tape. Storix System (Tape) Backup. I found it while typing in 'Linux tape' in Archive.org today. It's freeware for personal use.

The person who started the Storix company in 1999, , used to work for IBM, so the programme must be high quality.

I haven't tried it out yet, but here is a screenshot from Archive.org:


To install and run Storix, I had to do the following:
  1. Download the .tar.gz files from Arcive.org
  2. Login as root
  3. Create the storix directory in /usr/local
  4. Extract the .tar file into /usr/local/storix
  5. cd /usr/local/storix
  6. Type stinstall
  7. All the install programme asked me was am I intending on running this as an Individual or as a Company? I chose 'p' for Personal (this is the freeware ver.)
  8. To run the programme, just type sudo /usr/bin/stadmin
I will hopefully write more on how to run this, after I've tried backing up a couple of times.

Storix has a tutorial on Youtube on how to run it.

No comments: