Pages

8.24.2014

Am I A Man Child?

I have been described by my son Andrew as being a "man child". He says that some women don't like being with people like me. He says it makes them "uncomfortable".

Well, here is a list of 13 man-child qualities that some men have. I don't exactly line up with this list. The last ones do though.

http://collegetimes.com/2014/05/13/signs-youre-man-child

1. Watching cartoons while eating breakfast - I used to when I was a toddler, like in the late 1960s. Then at school age I started watching ABC's GMA in the 70s. By the 1980s I'd wach CTV's Canada AM. The 90s tv was icky and news breakfast tv was crap too.

2. Breakfast consists of sugary cereals - Uhhh...another NO. Until I was in grade 2 I was allowed baby cereal. More heathy for me...In high school in the 80s I would have no-name oatmeal hot cereal. When I moved out on my own (1989) I went back to the baby cereal, and on and off of it in the 90s, and 2000s, and 2010s. It's just more healthy than some of those crunch sugary cereals... I love the Barley cereal the best.

3. Wears superhero socks and PJs. Uh close. I did have made for me back in 2005 a PJ with a lamb/sheep print from Babykins. In the 90s I found at Woolco an adult sized fleece sleepers for $20.

4. Pixar & Disney your favourite films. Yes, some of the movies I saw. Toy Story 1 & 2, Tarzan (1998). But I like a movie if it has a good music score, good dialogue, believable enough plot. It can also be an adult movie I like. I don't go out for Romantic films except if they're romantic a romantic comedy - like Manequin (1986).

5. Need to take a nap. Yup, thru my own evolution on planet Earth I find I have more energy if I get a nap in the afternoon. Some Asian countries (Japan) and Mexico (?) also have afternoon naps, and they seem to be doing fine.

6. Laughs at potty humour. I find potty humour revolting, so NO on this one.

7. Gets read a story before rest/sleep. I'd LOVE it if someone would do this for me. Even CBC doesn't have radio plays anymore. In the 90s I'd have some Jazz music on the radio while reading PC Magazine or BYTE...ya that's kids reading material. NOT.

8. His favourite band has not changed in years. I have been a fan of Phil Collins and Genesis since the early 1980s. They are both retirement mode. I have moved on to other groups/bands/individuals.

9. Favourite author is Dr. Seuss. Nah. My favourite author just passed away THIS YEAR... Knowlton Nash, who wrote the excellent biography of Canadian broadasting in 'Microphone Wars' (1994).

10. Favourite poem is a nursery rhyme. No again. My favourite 'poems' tend to be Rock & Pop lyrics. I do enjoy childish tunes too though....take Carly Simon's Coming Around Again-Itsy Bitsy Spider for example.

11. Has baby biscuits on him at all times. Sort of. Maybe when I first moved out I had Mr. Cristie's arrowroot cookies at home, and would put honey on them, and have them with a glass of milk. Now honey is as expensive as maple syrup ($9). In the past 2 years I have been eating choc. puff cookies because I had a craving for those. I do eat my fruit like strawberries, pears and peaches to balance things out too.

12. Still makes pillow forts. No. However, I do like to decorate my sleeping space similar to a nursery though. If I had a wife though I guess I couldn't do that, but then we'd have kids and could decorate *their* room like that for a while...

13. Sleeps with a cuddle toy. Yup, I still have a 1988 era Teddy bear I bought from Superstore. He's a bit flattened out because I have used him as a secondary pillow, but ...

OK, that's it. So I'm not exactly like was listed here by the original poster.

No comments: