Pages

12.11.2016

Mom's Anxiety Issues

Growing up, probably in the late-1970s my Mom would get worried that Dad would get a heart attack and die and be left raising us and having to pay the mortgage and the property tax... This is what the "conversation" would be like...

Mom: Frank! Frank! Stop! You'll get a heart attack if you shovel snow too much. Frank!

Dad: Rosie stop it!

You see, my Mom's Mom (Baba) had two husbands. The first one died and they had a daughter together...my Mom's half-sister, which my Baba never encouraged or my Mom didn't allow herself to get to know.

Baba then re-married to Jacob Mymryck in the 1930s. They birthed one daughter, Rose Memrick.

My grandfather Jacob lived from November 1877 to March 1941 I never knew. My Mom was born in July 1936 when grandfather Jacob was 58 yrs. old. My Mom said (when she was living) that he entered a nursing home, St. Joseph's in St. Boniface, Manitoba when my Mom was about 3...so she never really got to get the bonding with her Dad at a very critical time.

So it would seem that my Mom carried some anxiety from this event, always in the background worrying that my Dad would get sick and die.

No comments: