Pages

7.11.2014

High Funct. Autism and Homelessness

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/steve-lafleur/homeless-spikes_b_5572897.html

The issue, for me at least, is not just to say "hey Jim, you'll do fine, now just find an apt. ... You've lived on your own before. You'll do fine" ... I'm sorry but it's more complicated than that... I'm a high functioning autistic adult, and because of that I was not able (priorities?) to put enough effort into keeping my apt. clean... I would frequently get complaints from my caretaker telling me to "clean your apartment". I had 2 cats in a carpeted suite. How do other people keep cats or dogs and not have their apt. smell of pet urine and feces? Life skills training is the answer...

I'm saying here that for autistic people and similar we NEED others to live with us, so we can SHARE in the responsibility of maintaining a home.

And not giving us, the HIGH FUNCT. AUTISTICS that OPTION... because we're NOT as NEEDY as the more severely autistic? I JUST DON'T GET IT!

This past week, I listened to an interview on CBC's The Current where they interviewed a French Canadian mother who adopted a Korean infant.




This baby developed PTSD and was diagnosed with Attachment Disorder.




http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2014/07/09/one-mothers-difficult-story-of-adoption/

The mother said that PTSD in this case causes ongoing stress.

So, in my case, where I was neglected in MY NEED to remain in my babyhood state, even at the age of 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... Was denied going back, even though I looked physically as a boy, emotionally I was not properly TRANSITIONED into boyhood, and was basically SHAMED for even wanting that.

That is not right, and I'm glad that this is being addressed by Gen X and Gen Y parents, who, through so-called 'permissive parenting' allow their pre-school offspring to COMPLETE their babyhood naturally. It should be up to the kid, boy or girl, to say when they are DONE with babyhood things... NEVER the parent. It should be part of a Human Right to that.


No comments: