Pages

7.25.2014

Homelessness: Assigning Blame Isn't A Solution

Floyd Perras, a columnist with the Winnipeg Sun, and works at Siloam Mission, cautions us not to blame homeless people for being ("choosing") to be homeless.

For me, it's not a choice. For me, what I really want would be to live in a home with others, somewhere where my "baby self" can be respected and acknowledged. I've been told though, that "no one is going to baby a 48 yr. old"... So absent of that, I choose homelessness. And with that is going about stuff in my 'adult self' like volunteering, spending time with friends.

A voice cries out in the wilderness...

Here's the link to the column:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/07/24/assigning-blame-isnt-a-solution

Those citizens who are homeless, are not always to blame for their predicament.

In my case it, it has just been decade upon decade of abuse and even more so, _neglect_ of MY needs.

And actually, when you look at my life, as an autistic gay man, I've been lucky enough to have worked as much as I have in the past 40 years in the various jobs I've had - newspaper carrier, flyer distribtion, fast food crew member, data entry clerk, public speaker, webmaster...

Sure, I didn't have a VCR in the early 1980s when tv was better. Sure I didn't have other stuff, like a 'real' (long) train ride on CN or VIA Rail when I was growing up.
Sure, the only compliments *I* got were from my Trib and Sun customers.

But I guess it's all for something, isn't it? It's all for soul progress/soul growth in the end...

So, 10,000 years or 100,000 years from now I will be stronger as a soul, more resilient, just like my Guardian Angel...not moving from his values.

No comments: